Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7-28 update, new friends

Dear Friends and family,
This has been another eventful week of course. Someone once told me that if you’re following Jesus and things are boring then you’re doing something wrong. So far they’ve been very right. We received two more visitors from the states last week. It’s so interesting how people react to new people when they know that they are coming but know nothing about them. There is a bit excitement but also hesitation in them showing up. You never know what to expect. Since I’ve been here we’ve had 8 visitors and I’ve had that tension with all of them and I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by all of them. This time it was two college age ladies. Elle is here as part of her biblical counseling degree and her friend Bridgett is here for moral support and to just help out. They have both been a blast to spend time with.
So let me try to recap the week here for you. I’m a bit behind due to my computers motherboard getting fried. Well the house has windows in it now and we are getting ready to put the ring beam on it. Hopefully we’ll have a roof on it next week.
We were able to put in a new 1000 liter water tank and some more gutters up out at the Naibor orphanage. The welding students are doing well. We got their business license today and have expanded the business to hair cuts and cell phone charging. The business is growing and the reputation in the area has grown.
Friday Laura Nell, Chirchir and I went to a couple of schools so that Laura Nell could teach the Jonah story. It was incredible. We were in these bush school/church’s where the only light came from the open door or the cracks between the wall boards. Both of them became quickly packed with young children so curious to see what the wazungu (white people) had to teach. Laura Nell didn’t leave them disappointed. They were captivated by her animated movements and sounds. She had them laughing, jumping and even some teary eyed before they left. Our time there brought 103 kids to the sinners prayer. I’ve never been a part of anything like that before. It was incredible and I enjoyed it very much.
Due to so many illnesses we also helped out in the nursery school. I’ve lived with kids this age but I have to tell you that when you multiply them their strength and power to overcome nearly any force grows exponentially. Nursery school teachers should have comic books written about them. You never see any superhero go against a class of these kids because no matter how powerful that superhero might be they will never make it!!! Duct tape. This is the key. My dear friend Rachel gave me some red white and blue rolls of duct tape before leaving. It was one of those gifts that is given with a fun thought because of some conversation but ends up saving lives! I need a cape and tights with a utility belt armed with duct tape. Maybe a big “D” in the middle. Enough said.
Saturday morning we loaded up the car with water and supplies for the weekend and headed out to Naibor where the girls were going to spend the weekend serving the orphanages needs. I spent the night the first night to help out with the transition and had a great time. By the time Monday came they had packed walls with cow manure and mud, bathed little kids, ate like an orphan, played baseball, done laundry for about 28 kids, cooked, watched a goat get slaughtered, ate fresh chicken, done dishes, and cleaned the orphanage. There were many stories that came from last weekend but I don’t want to embarrass them. I bet an American meal and a real toilet were the best things that they had ever seen come Monday. I’m proud of them though. It’s not an easy life out there and to go straight from a lavish American life to squatty potties and mud huts is a rough transition. I can’t imagine anybody coming here and not having a life changing experience and I think that is what both of them will leave here with. I look forward to seeing where their lives go after this.
I hope that all of you get to do something like this at some point in your life if you haven’t already. I’m blown away by it and am so honored to be a part of it. There are similar needs right there in your own home town, at least there are in mine. You are all on my mind and in my prayers. Please take care of each other and give each other a hug for me until I can come home and give you one myself. I must get going.

Peace and Blessings
Caleb

No comments: