Tuesday, July 7, 2009

7-7 update. My Grandma Died this Week


My friends and family,

It seems that there is always something at the end of the week that happens that is so powerful or eventful. Some of you already know what happened but I’m going to repeat it for everyone else because it is so much a part of my life and my time here. I had just arrived at the Vineyard church in Nanyuki when I checked my phone and saw that I had missed a call from Bre (my sister). That means that she had called me around 12:30 AM her time. That meant that something was wrong so I left church and called her. I had a strong feeling that I knew what it was and when she answered crying I knew that my Grandmother had died. Before I left to come to Africa I had a feeling that she was going to pass away while I was here. I don’t know the last time that I cried like that. I rode home crying and did it some more here at home. I called my Dad and he filled me in on what had happened. Here is the most important part of the night that she died. She was with her husband that she loved fiercely. She was with her daughter and her son and she was happy. She had her hearing aids and was shuffling around the house dressed up in one of her white cotton skirts and a matching blouse. My grandfather had made her hair look especially beautiful that night. My Grandmother was surrounded by the most important people in her life and was in her element. She was happy. That brings a smile to my face.

It’s hard being on the other side of this floating sphere while my hurting family is so far away but I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is where she would want me and where I belong right now. I don’t know if she’ll be buried or not but if she has a tombstone and you ever see it I want you to pay special attention to that dash between the date she was born and the date that she died because there is so much beauty and life in that little dash. Her dash was incredible!!! She and my grandfather had been married for 67 years I think. They really knew how to love and there was still so much love between the two of them. When my Dad got married last year I got to my grandparents dance. It was beautiful. Can you imagine how many times they’ve danced over the years and the stories behind those dances.

Here are my requests of you. Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this both celebrating her and mourning our loss. Most importantly though I ask you to LIVE!!! None of you know when you are going to die. I’ve seen enough die before their time to know that our time could be any day. LIVE YOUR DASH!!! There will always be things to do around the house and stuff at work. Be responsible with them but don’t forget about the life that you have been blessed with. It is incredible…if you make it such.

It’s kind of hard to remember much more of my week. I’m designing an two story play house for the younger kids at the school and have started putting up walls at the house. I have also been able to talk with a lot of people about the blocks and have a couple of meetings set up to hopefully sell a lot of them for Noah. He and I are working smoothing out business stuff together and he is an amazing learner. I have learned tons as well and continue to everyday.

I’m sorry that this is late this week but I think that you’ll forgive me. I hope that this finds all of you with a smile. Just in case I’ll attach a picture of one of the orphans playing with a balloon sent by my mother. Please smile and laugh and love and enjoy your dash.

Peace and Love
Caleb

1 comment:

kirsten said...

i'm so sorry, caleb. i wish i could have met your grandmother -- sounds like she has a lot of spunk!! it's got to be so hard to be so far away while this is all happening.

we love you and keep updated on your work in kenya. may the God of all peace fill you, sustain you, and keep you.

love,
k